LIONS FOUNDATION OF CANADA DOG GUIDES
Lions Foundation of Canada Dog Guides and its founding program, Canine Vision Canada, was established in 1983. It’s the largest school of its kind in Canada with its training school in Oakville and breeding facility in Breslau.
Responsible Pet Owners Month In A Nutshell
Pets are not accessories, they’re family members. They have feelings and deserve the best care. That’s why there’s a whole month, namely February, dedicated to them.
So, in honour of Responsible Pet Owners Month, here’s what you need to know about being a responsible pet owner, in a nutshell.
What are the Key Categories of Pet Care?
1. SAFETY 2. HEALTH 3. HAPPINESS
- Pet-proofed home
- Microchip: test it annually
- Prevent straying / escaping
- Clean, dry, safe and warm shelter
- Accessories/equipment for safe travel
- Stress-free lifestyle and fear-free environment
- Emergency plan and equipment: first aid, emergency contact details and evacuation plan
- Fresh water
- Nutritious food
- Regular exercise
- Regular grooming
- Routine vaccinations
- Waste-free living spaces
- Routine visits to a veterinarian
- Routine parasite prevention treatment
- Adjust your pet’s diet with age or if they develop a condition
- Veterinarian visits after injury or whenever you suspect illness or pain
- Physical affection
- Mental stimulation
- Undivided attention
- Socialization (if they enjoy it, some don’t)
- Company: pets get stressed and depressed when left alone for too long
Additional Advice and Tips
- Consider pet insurance
- Budget for emergencies
- Don’t get more pets than you can properly care for
- Obey rules regarding pets where applicable/relevant
- Make sure there’s someone who can take care of your pet if you no longer can
Happy Responsible Pet Owners Month!