LIONS FOUNDATION OF CANADA DOG GUIDES
Lions Foundation of Canada Dog Guides and its founding program, Canine Vision Canada, was established in 1983. It’s the largest school of its kind in Canada with its training school in Oakville and breeding facility in Breslau.
Owning Pets in Canada – Facts & Things to Know
DID YOU KNOW?
Pet well-being is becoming increasingly important to pet owners. In fact, the number of pet owners consulting veterinarians or veterinary technicians are on the rise.
For the first time, cat and dog populations in Canada are nearly equal.
FACTS ABOUT DOGS
- About 41% of households have a dog or dogs
- There are about 8.2 million domestic dogs in Canada
- In 2018, the Portuguese Water Dog made Canada’s Top 10 Most Popular Dog Breeds list for the first time
FACTS ABOUT CATS
- About 38% of households have a cat or cats
- There are about 8.3 million domestic cats in Canada
- In 2017, more shelter cats were adopted and fewer euthanized than ever before
Data Source: Nation-wide Survey Conducted by Kynetec
OTHER ANIMALS KEPT AS PETS IN CANADA
- Small mammals such as hamsters as well as exotic ones such as sugar gliders
Popular Pet Services
- Cat sitting
- Dog sitting
- Dog walking
- Training schools/services
- Boarding (including cageless)
2021 Trends in the Pet World
- Smart technology
- Premium pet foods
- Personalized pet foods
- A focus on mental health
- Alternative health therapies
- Spotlight on sourcing, sustainability and animal welfare
DID YOU KNOW?
Domestic dogs entering Canada do not have to be quarantined. However, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) requires documents for all animals entering Canada.